Great vacancy Senior Manager, Health workforce hiring now
Job Details: Senior Manager, Health workforce
Full details of the job.
Senior Manager, Health workforce
Purpose of Position
Support the development and implementation of Gavi’s approach to supporting Frontline Health Workers (FHW) and their supervisors
Health Systems & Immunisation Strengthening
Senior Specialist, Health Systems & Immunisation Strengthening
Career Step Level
An adequate number and appropriate distribution of well performing frontline health workers and their supervisors is critical for reaching missed children with safe immunisation services as well as for delivering other primary healthcare interventions. Current programmes and activities to improve their performance, accountability and behaviours, whether funded by Gavi or other donors, are often ad-hoc rather than strategic and follow traditional methodologies with limited use of innovative approaches and unclear impact. Gavi is thus revisiting its approach to investing in health workers.
A key focus of this new approach is how to better support countries to strengthen and maintain frontline health workers’ performance. This requires continued professional education and learning programmes leveraging innovative and digital technologies that are rapidly scalable. It also aims to build capacities for data-driven health workforce planning and management at national, sub-national and facility level.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The advertised position is central to developing, testing and scaling up this new way for Gavi to invest in frontline health workers and supervisors over the next two years, to become a central piece of Gavi’s next 5-year strategy. This will involve:
• Convening and engaging Alliance and new partners to transform the way countries and development partners invest in health workers;
• Developing innovative and strategic models for adult learning of frontline health workers in immunisation with broader applicability to Primary Health Care (PHC);
• Designing new approaches and learn from successful experiences in performance management of frontline health workers;
• Identifying opportunities for catalytic Gavi investments in the area of data driven health workforce planning in a set of countries;
• Managing the testing and roll-out of these tools in a set of countries and outline a roadmap for scale up within the Gavi Alliance and beyond.
• Convene relevant organisations and experts across sectors to transform Gavi’s overall approach to investments in frontline health workers and their supervisors;
• Drive the identification, adaptation creation and uptake of learning and performance management content and tools (e.g., training methods, online platforms, machine learning and natural language processing);
• Analyse in-country challenges of key health workforce areas relevant to deliver safe and equitable immunisation services to inform the design of country specific investments;
• Facilitate and support in-country dialogue relevant to Gavi’s investments in frontline health workers and supervisors;
• Capture/codify lessons learned/best practices and share regular briefings with Secretariat HRH Steering Committee;
• Travel regularly for the purpose of country pilots and broader stakeholder engagement.
Note: The essential duties and responsibilities listed in this section are not exhaustive; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in roles related to education, workforce development, continuous learning in an international context. Experience in health systems strengthening is an asset;
• Proven experience in working with innovative adult learning content and methodologies, including digital technology is required;
• Proven expertise working in diverse, multi-partner environments;
• Professional experience working with governments and other stakeholders on the ground in lower income countries is required;
• Demonstrable experience in project management, managing partnerships and multi-stakeholder task forces, as well as organisation of meetings and events;
• Private sector experience desired.
• Excellent conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills, including ability to structure and shape new approaches from scratch with limited guidance;
• Ability to think innovatively, strategically and flexibly and see the broader picture;
• Aptitude to plan, organise and prioritise work effectively, and to meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
• Excellent representational and communication skills, including facilitation of team processes with a mix of background and culture;
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in a global, multicultural context;
• Influencing skills and ability to advance priorities in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
• High level computer skills, including office applications (Microsoft Project, PowerPoint and Excel);
• Tact and discretion.
• Fluency in written and spoken English required;
• French and other languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Russian) are an asset.
• Advanced university degree in education, learning, public health, health economics, social sciences, international development or a related socioeconomic field.
• Gavi Alliance Partners (Gavi Secretariat, WHO, UNICEF, World Bank, CDC);
• Gavi-eligible countries;
• The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation;
• Other significant donors in the area of Frontline Health Workers (e.g., GFF, The Global Fund);
• The Rockefeller Foundation;
• Key and emerging actors in education, learning and digital technology;
• Other partners and stakeholders as required.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Duration: 24 months (starting ASAP)
If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on "Senior Manager, Health Workforce (temporary)” Deadline for applications is 27 March 2020.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.
Sage People Recruit