Great vacancy Senior Country Manager, Country Support - Anglophone Africa (TEMP) hiring now
Job Details: Senior Country Manager, Country Support - Anglophone Africa (TEMP)
Full details of the job.
Senior Country Manager, Country Support - Anglophone Africa (TEMP)
Purpose of Position
The Senior Country Manager is the Gavi Secretariat’s key representative dealing with governments and in-country partners. S/he is responsible for ensuring effective management of grants, risk and relationships, for supporting successful country implementation and for monitoring performance.
Career Step Level
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children's lives and protecting people's health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 700 million children and the prevention of more than 10 million future deaths.
Senior Country Managers play a pivotal role in Gavi's mission to ensure that children in the world’s poorest countries are vaccinated against deadly diseases such as hepatitis B, diarrhoea, pneumococcal disease, measles and meningitis A. They work at the forefront of Gavi’s collaboration with governments and partners that has allowed 6 million lives to be saved since 2000 through immunisation of an additional 440 million children.
The hands-on work of Gavi’s Senior Country Managers is fast-paced, demanding and rewarding. Together with governments and partners, they enable the introduction of new, effective vaccines in many places that previously couldn’t afford them. They work towards the global eradication of polio and the deployment of the cutting-edge cervical cancer-preventing vaccine. They may also contribute, once these become available, to the roll-out of an Ebola vaccine and the introduction of long-awaited vaccines against malaria and dengue fever.
Senior Country Managers typically focus on several countries within their assigned geographical region, and divide their time between Gavi’s Geneva headquarters and field visits. They ensure countries deploy Gavi’s vaccine and direct financial support effectively and transparently. They manage risks and help solve problems that hold back programme implementation. And they monitor the performance of Gavi-funded programmes.
To this effect, Senior Country Managers build and manage relationships with a wide range of representatives from governments, United Nations and donor agencies, and NGOs. Chief among these are Gavi’s alliance partners, which include the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Bank. Senior Country Managers are also supported in their work by colleagues from various teams within the Gavi Secretariat.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
• Increased immunisation coverage and equity in assigned countries;
• On-time, quality completion of the grant management process steps, and high quality of grant management documents;
• Key information relevant to grant management gathered in effective and timely way, and appropriately shared and used;
• Quality, timely analysis and recommendations in relation to assigned and regional team grant portfolio;
• Proactive identification, reporting and resolution/mitigation of issues and risks related to management and use of Gavi investments in assigned countries;
• Excellent relationships and productive collaboration with country stakeholders and partners, and good understanding by them of Gavi policies, initiatives, decisions, etc.;
• Significant contributions to advancing Gavi stewardship-based grant management approach and implementation;
• High-performing, mutually-supportive regional team.
Manage the grant portfolio for the assigned countries with a view to enhancing implementation progress, immunisation coverage and equity, and programmatic and financial sustainability. Specifically:
Conduct or facilitate the various steps of the Gavi grant management process for the assigned-country grants, including:
• Required due diligence;
• Make decisions on approach and steer process to achieve grant progress and outcomes;
• Proactively identify and work to address implementation constraints;
• Closely monitor and report on progress.
• Continuously assess risks that affect grants and implementation for assigned countries;
• Formulate and implement actions to mitigate risks;
• Report, consult on or elevate key issues.
• Liaise with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure progress,
• Respond to queries and foster productive collaboration;
• Manage relationships;
• Rally partner support to deliver technical assistance,
• Oversight and risk management; ensure coordination of grant support from all sources;
• Represent Gavi Secretariat at various fora.
• Gather, share and ensure use of key information;
• Carry out analyses relating to country context, grants and portfolio;
• Provide briefing information, operational feedback, recommendations, policy advice;
• Contribute to development of Gavi operational policies, procedures and tools.
• Contribute to development, implementation and improvement of sound practices for stewardship-based grant management;
• Strategic information gathering;
• Risk assessment;
• Knowledge sharing, etc.;
• Support and share practices/lessons with colleagues.
Note: The essential functions of the post are not limited to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience working in public health or international development; experience in immunisation programmes or health systems an asset;
• Excellent experience working in / with developing countries on technical issues required;
• Significant grant-, project- and/or programme-management experience required, including in situations of considerable complexity and political sensitivity;
• Experience in bilateral and multilateral aid environments an asset.
• Health or international development technical skills; current knowledge of immunisation or health development issues an asset;
• Advanced project management skills demonstrated with complex (e.g., multi-sectorial, multi-stakeholder) projects;
• Financial management skills, including knowledge of project financing and financial processes and ability to prepare, justify, manage budgets and monitor expenditures;
• Analysis, problem-solving, prioritisation, planning and risk-management skills; sound judgment;
• Strategic facilitation, negotiation, political acumen; representation, advocacy, diplomacy, tact and discretion;
• Interpersonal, teamwork and capacity-building skills;
• Oral communication, writing and presentational skills;
• Drive, proactiveness, action and results orientation; continuous improvement;
• Ability to work successfully in an international, multi-cultural, multi-partner environment, with significant travel.
• Written and spoken fluency in English essential;
• Written and spoken fluency in French is an asset.
• Advanced university degree in public health, health economics, development, business administration (with experience in international development) or related field, or other relevant qualification.
• Gavi Secretariat;
• Developing country governments;
• Gavi's alliance partners;
• Multilateral & bilateral donor agencies;
• Civil society organisations.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please visit our
and apply by clicking on “Senior Country Manager, Country Support - Anglophone Africa (TEMP)”. Deadline for applications is 14 August 2019.
Become part of our community and join us on
for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.
Sage People Recruit